[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] ten year old with CVID and focal white matter demyelination

Yeşim Yılmaz Demirdağ dryesimyilmaz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:45:00 EDT 2013

This patient reminded me of a very sad case:A 43 yo man with severe
hypogammaglobulinemia diagnosed at 38 yrs old.He had undetectable IgM and
IgA. IgG was in 200s, lymphocyte subsets were WNL. He had recurrent
sinusitis and pneumonia since childhood. In his 20s he
developed granulomatous dermatitis, and in his 30s he was diagnosed with
hepatosplenomegaly and underwent evaluation for malignancy, then referred
to me. At that time I ruled out XL-HyperIgM, CGD, XLP, Lymphoma, XLA,
ADA, and HIV. He had low CD4 (in 200s) and high CD8 (in 800s). I was not
sure what he had, but I started IVIG and prophylactic Bactrim.

He did very well for 3-4 yrs. However, in the fall of 2012 he started
having severe unilateral sinus infections, and he ended up having a sinus
surgery in December 2012. About 1 month after the surgery (culture was
positive for only staph aureus) he started to have memory problems similar
to Alzheimer disease (could not remember how to turn on the lights, did not
know where he was driving). He and his family thought that it was stress
related at work and did not see a doctor. He continued to worsen and lost
20 lbs in 1 month, then I saw him. At that time MRI was consistent with PML
and CSF was positive for JC virus. He deteriorated rapidly and died in May
2013. After he died STAT1 mutation was checked at NIH, I just received the
results last week and it was negative.

Yeshim

Yesim Yilmaz Demirdag, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics