[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] challenging patient for IVIG/SCIG

Maite de la Morena Maite.delaMorena at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Nov 6 19:44:48 EST 2013

I would be curious to ask how many people have seen incapacitating neurologic disorders temporally associated with IgG products

I have recently begun caring for a patient who carries the diagnosis of autoimmune encephalomyelitis-Stiff Person Syndrome with evidence of anti-GAD antibodies.

Mother feels everything started after an unusual reaction to an IVIG product (was changed from Octagam to Gamunex). The reaction occurred at the end of the infusion characterized by tachycardia , then fainting episodes that kept her admitted for two weeks.
Thank you
Maite

Maite de la Morena, MD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Allergy and Immunology
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas
5323 Harry HInes Blvd
Dallas, Texas 75390-9063
Phone 214 456-5161
Fax: 214 456-8317
Email: maite.delamorena at utsouthwestern.edu

From: Javier Chinen [mailto:chinej20 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:19 PM
To: CIS-PIDD
Subject: RE: [cis-pidd] challenging patient for IVIG/SCIG

hi Elena,

I am managing a CVID patient who did not tolerate several IV and all 3 SC Ig products, though not with an anaphylaxis-like reaction. She always had problems but then she developed an incapacitating neuromuscular syndrome after doses.
Reasoning this had to be managed following drug allergy guidelines, we designed a 'desensitization' protocol, with premeds:

- Advance from 0.1 cc to 1 cc SQ Hizentra on day 1. Increases every 15 min
- Stay in 1 cc daily for 2 weeks= 15cc = 3g
- Advance 1 cc weekly- next two weeks = 35 cc= 7g -->> 10g first month
And so forth, now she tolerates 20cc (4 g) every 3 days
Symptoms reappeared when she reached 10cc/dose. Switched to Gammagard and Gamunex with no much difference. She is still with significant pain and weakness after doses, but it is not as incapacitating. Her levels are now in the 800s. While finding the right approach her levels went down to 200s and recurrent infections occurred, stressing the need of replacement. Logistically, with this approach there is an issue with waste of product that needs to be anticipated.

Hope it is helpful

Javier Chinen, MD, PhD

---
The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by: