[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] pneumococcal vaccine strategy in adolescents & adults with immune deficiency

Boyce, Thomas G., M.D. Boyce.Thomas at mayo.edu
Thu Dec 12 09:45:57 EST 2013

Stan,

In studies of patients with HIV infection, which is all we have to go on until studies are done in other populations, PCV-13 primes the response to PPVS-23, providing higher titers to the extra serotypes in PPVS-23 than giving PPVS-23 alone. If given in that order, the vaccines can be given 8 weeks apart (for a patient of any age). One can still assess the polysaccharide immune response to those serotypes not in PCV-13.

Tom

Thomas G. Boyce, MD, MPH
Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunology
Mayo Clinic
email: boyce.thomas at mayo.edu