[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 13 y/o female with SJS secondary to mycoplasma

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Thu Jan 16 14:06:48 EST 2014

Dear Sara

I think that in the case of a child presenting HUS it is important to rule out defects of complement pathway (C3, factor I, H, B and CD46) and their phenocopies (antibodies against factor B and H are also associated with HUS). There are some few cases of inborn errors of cobalamin C.
Moreover, besides infectious triggers (E.coli, S. pneumoniae, HIV etc.), autoimmunity (such as SLE, anti phospholipid Ab) are also possibly involved in HUS.
Thinking in the context of M. pneumoniae infection that can induce IgM Ab to I antigen of red blood cells (sometimes with cryoagglutinin features) it is important to think in the possibility of Mycoplasma infection triggering of a new HUS in the patient, besides SJS. It's not uncommon to observe patients with SJS evolving to renal failure due to dehydration or immune complex deposition in renal glomeruli .

Therefore I would look at this patient closely in order to exclude other risk factors to develop "autoimmune" manifestations.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes Vasconcelos , MD, PhD
Department of Dermatology
University of São Paulo School of Medicine
São Paulo, Brazil