[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Adult onset, multiple episodes of rapidly progressive severe sepsis, with no demonstrable immune abnormality

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Tue Mar 4 10:28:04 EST 2014

Dear Dr. Spriggs, good morning

Very interesting case!
What about his teeth? Are they OK, without periodontal disease?
The presence of infections due to encapsulated bacteria drives our thoughts to Ig and complement diseases too.
Despite the lack of descriptions of disease in adults due to defects of NF-kB activation (MyD88 and IRAK-4) you also thought in the possibility of defects in this pathway. Nevertheless, polymorphisms of other TLR molecules (more linked to Gram+ bacteria such as TLR1 and 2) are possible.
Moreover, defects of the lectin pathway of complement (mainly MASP2 and Ficolin3 deficiencies) are associated with severe sepsis and pneumonias due to encapsulated bacteria.
Maybe mild defects of phagocytes (such as myeloperoxidase) can account to susceptibility to infections in adult patients, when they develop any other disease that can affect immunity (such as diabetes mellitus and uremia).
Furthermore, the possibility of a secondary ID, such as those linked to neoplastic diseases such as lymphomas and leukemias can't be ruled out.

Best regards,

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes Vasconcelos, MD, PhD
University of São Paulo School of Medicine
São Paulo, Brazil