[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Patient question

Oscar de la Calle-Martín odlcalle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:14:52 EDT 2014

Dear colleague,

You should look for HLA-I expressión.

Best regards,

Oscar de la Calle

> I'd appreciate advice from the group on a case. I am following a 43 yo

> white female with a history of repeated pneumonias since childhood, now

> with bronchiectasis, h/o ITP/splenectomy and an impressive h/o recurrent

> infections - mainly RLL pneumonias/bronchiectasis. IgM is mildly low but

> immunoglobulins are normal. She has a h/o cervical carcinoma and now has

> been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the neck positive for p16

> suggesting HPV. She has a h/o bleeding with normal platelet counts and her

> platelet function assay is abnormal (normal kinetics but low ATP release) -

> this has been repeated. She developed gray hair in her 20's and has had

> bilateral hearing loss since childhood. Response to pneumovax was

> excellent (pre-titers are shown below). NK cell function (Cincinnati) was

> normal.

> * * Final Report * *

> The patient's platelets aggregated with all agonists tested: arachidonic

> acid, ADP and collagen, consistent with normal platelet function. However,

> we noticed decreased ATP release when her platelets were exposed to

> collagen and arachidonic acid, but not thrombin. This finding may represent

> a mild defect in her granular contents, which may explain some of her

> bleeding history. Dr. M. Marques

> This test was reviewed and approved by the signing pathologist. 10/15/2013

> 15:25:07 CDT

> *

> Flow Cytometry Clinical Information *

> The patient is a 43 year old female with a clinical history of IgA

> deficiency. The patient's current WBC is 10,700 cells/microliter with a

> differential of 52% segs, 38% lymphs, 9% monos, and 1% basos. The platelet

> count is 273,000 cells/microliter and the hemoglobin is 12.3 g/dL.

> The following cell markers were analyzed by flow cytometry; the data is on

> file in the Laboratory: CD2, CD3, CD4, CD5, CD8, CD10, CD16, CD19, CD20,

> CD23, Mu, Delta, Kappa, Lambda, CD56, CD57 and CD45.

> This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by

> UAB Pathology. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and

> Drug Administration. The FDA has determined that such clearance or approval

> is not necessary. This test is used for clinical purposes. This laboratory

> is certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988

> (CLIA) as qualified to perform high complexity clinical laboratory testing.

> * FC Gross Description *

> The specimen is received in a single tube labeled with the patient's name

> and containing 3 mL of peripheral blood. The specimen is processed by the

> whole blood lysis technique.

> Dr. Reddy/Dr. Hanna

> 10/15/2013 10:21:48 CDT

> * FC Diagnosis Peripheral blood: - Mild CD4+ T-cell predominance; CD4:CD8

> ratio of 3.6 *

> Vishnu Reddy MD

> Verified: 10/15/13 13:37 VR/CAH

> Reviewed by: Hanna, Courtney Alexandra MD MD

> [...]

Dr. Oscar de la Calle-Martín
Laboratoris, Planta -2, Bloc B,
Servei d'Immunologia, Hospital de Sant Pau
C/ San Quintin 89, E-08041 Barcelona, SPAIN
MOVIL SANT PAU 37386 / 682 745 510
93 553 7265 (SECRETARIA), 93 553 7386 / 93 553 7546 (DESPACHO)
odlcalle at gmail.com

E: info at clinimmsoc.org

or send a blank email to leave-44819151-183939985.3ea13d40a15475ac00ebbd9cd8a37d6d at lists.clinimmsoc.org