[CIS PIDD] PHA

Brooks, Edward G brookse at uthscsa.edu
Fri May 30 17:14:19 EDT 2014

Has anyone seen poor PHA responses but with normal Con A?

Case:  2 and a half year old girl with a h/o a severe pseudomonas sepsis at 1 year: She had a roseola infection (PCR positive), and one of the lesions became secondarily infected. She developed sepsis with pseudomonas, was eventually intubated and remained critically ill for almost 1 month. Since then, she has been fine, with no significant infections and no need for antibiotics.

We first saw her a few months ago and found marginal PHA response (si 0.31) normal Con A, PWM, and allogeneic cells, normal IgG, M, A, titers to diphtheria, tetanus and pneumococcus. Normal T-, B- and NK cell subsets.

I saw her again recently and repeated the proliferative responses, which showed a very poor PHA response (si 0.06-0.1), but near normal response to Con A (si 0.43-0.61), and normal responses to PWM, and allogeneic cells. TLR function was also tested (ARUP) and was normal.

Has anyone seen divergent responses to mitogens?

Thanks

Ed Brooks

Edward Brooks, MD
Professor