[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 14yo with recurrent Staph aureus sepsis

Nima Parvaneh nparvaneh at tums.ac.ir
Tue Jun 3 12:20:01 EDT 2014

Dear Joe,

Did you check the anti-IL6 autoantibodies. as the patient had a normal
past medical history during the early years, he most probably have an
acquired condition. Please see the following ref:

Recurrent STAPHYLOCOCCAL cellulitis and subcutaneous abscesses in a
child with autoantibodies against IL-6. [5] J Immunol. 2008 Jan
1;180(1):647-54

Yours,

nima.

On 2014-06-03 17:59, Church, Joseph wrote:

> His skin is normal, no eczema, fungal infections, warts etc. IgE is pending; no eosinophilia. JC
>
> FROM: Heimall, Jennifer [mailto:heimallj at email.chop.edu]
> SENT: Monday, June 02, 2014 8:17 PM
> TO: CIS-PIDD
> SUBJECT: Re: [cis-pidd] 14yo with recurrent Staph aureus sepsis
>
> Any other history of eczema, fungal infection or warts? Any elevation in ige or eosinophilia? I am thinking of perhaps a DOCk8- some were not too sick until their teens.
>
> Jen
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:56 PM, "Church, Joseph" <JChurch at chla.usc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues:
>>
>> I was asked to evaluate a previously very healthy 14yo boy who experienced the following:
>>
>> · 2012 Cellulitis (likely Staph) after an insect bite
>>
>> · 2013 Staph aureus, methicillin sensitive, septic shock after minor skin trauma and possible local infection
>>
>> · 2014 Staph aureus, methicillin sensitive, sepsis.
>>
>> He has a past history of a 4mm VSD, but echocardiography on two occasions failed to reveal a focus of infection.
>>
>> Neutrophil counts were repeatedly normal.
>>
>> Physical exam is normal except for a III/VI ejection murmur.
>>
>> I have never read that CGD or LAD presents like this. I plan to suggest a closer look at his heart valves. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Joe Church
>>
>> Children's Hospital Los Angeles

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
>> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
>> or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
>> or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.

>> ---
>>
>> The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by:
>>
>> _The science & practice of human immunology_
>>
>> P: +1.414.224.8095
>> E: info at clinimmsoc.org
>>
>> Not a member of CIS? Please visit www.clinimmsoc.org [1] to join!
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to cis-pidd as: heimallj at email.chop.edu.

> The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by:
>
> _The science & practice of human immunology_
>
> P: +1.414.224.8095
> E: info at clinimmsoc.org
>
> Not a member of CIS? Please visit www.clinimmsoc.org [1] to join!
>
> You are currently subscribed to cis-pidd as: jchurch at chla.usc.edu.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
> or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
> or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.

> The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by:
>
> _The science & practice of human immunology_
>
> P: +1.414.224.8095
> [...]

Nima Parvaneh, MD.
Assistant Professor
Department of Pediatrics
Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Tehran University of Medical Sciences
62 Gharib St, 14194 Tehran, Iran
Tel: +98-21-66920982
Fax: +98-21-66923054