[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] ADA SCID tx

Szabolcs, Paul paul.szabolcs at chp.edu
Tue Jul 15 07:20:47 EDT 2014

The introduction of newborn screening for Krabbe disease in NY State a couple of years ago has created similar stress

The incidence may be lower but once there is low galactocerebrosidase ( GLC) level found on the Guthrie cards a slew of tests may/should follow. While infantile Krabbe is devastating by 3-4 months of age  parents may not be able to identify tell tell signs ~ 6-8 weeks after birth.

Nevertheless, some  may not even have disease onset till they are juvenile despite n  confirmed near zero GLC levels. MRI, nerve conduction, along with  CSF samples are tested by Maria Escolar while David Wenger has identified a few mutations amongst >100s that may have sufficient predictive  power nevertheless, this is still research in progress.

Paul