[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Neutropenia and low interferon gamma production

Dylan Mordaunt d.a.mordaunt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 20:02:28 EDT 2014

Dear Lynn,

Were there any other features such as developmental delay, liver
dysfunction or hypoglycemia?

Although relatively uncommon, many of the metabolic neutropenias can be
solved with urine organic and amino acids as well as urine purine and
pyrimidine profiling- both relatively inexpensive tests. Barth syndrome and
GSD1b are probably the more common metabolic neutropenias we encounter in
the metabolic clinic, although GSD1b requiring GCSF would be having
frequent low BSLs.

Interestingly, there are no disorders annotated with 'abnormalities of
interferon secretion' (HPO code HP:0011116) in the Mendelian Inheritance in
Man database (omim.org), presumably because this is predominantly edited by
geneticists rather than immunologists. It may also be that you are
observing a phenomenon in a known disorder, but which has not previously
been reported.

There are a few broad-based genetic testing options if you do not have a
short differential. There are two 'neutropenia' NGS panels I am aware of:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gtr/tests/512562/ and
https://www.preventiongenetics.com/clinical-dna-testing/test/severe-congenital-neutropenia-sanger-sequencing-panel/476/
.

These panels are limited in terms of the number of genes but coverage (of
the individual genes) is likely to be good. Another option would be to
create a 'custom' panel with a lab like Fulgent (
fulgent-therapeutics.com/test/), cost is USD $1495. They perform a massive
panel/exome but perform a 'virtual panel' by only filtering for variants in
the gene of interest. You can add up to 20 genes with Fulgent (I think
GeneDx have a similar service), reflex to del/dup for another $500. You
would just need to be aware that gene coverage can be a limitation
depending on the genes of interest but if you found a pathogenic variant in
a recessive gene with poor coverage, could subsequently Sanger sequence the
remaining gene.

Kind regards,

Dylan

Dylan Mordaunt
Clinical and Metabolic Genetics Fellow
South Australian Clinical Genetics Service
Mobile: + 61 468 516 283
Email: d.a.mordaunt at gmail.com

E: info at clinimmsoc.org