[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] SCID genetic testing?

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Tue Sep 30 21:28:55 EDT 2014

Dear Megan, good evening

If the lymphocytes are dropping purine pathway defects are a good possibility.
Uric acid levels could be useful in this context, as in purine nucleoside phosphorylase (PNP) deficiency urate levels are really low, and in adenosine deaminase deficiency moderately low (approximately 2 mg/dL).
Enzymatic activity can be evaluated in red blood cells and could help you to drive the diagnosis.
Other diseases that evolve with progressive decrease of lymphocytes are GATA2 (low monocyte counts could be useful) and DOCK8 (Eczema, high IgE and eosinophilia could help) .

Hope it helps.

With my kind regards,

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes Vasconcelos, MD, PhD
University of São Paulo School of Medicine