[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] VS: Patient with NEMO rash and joint inflammation

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Thu Oct 23 03:14:05 EDT 2014

Dear all, Charlotte

A challenging case You have there!

I would certainly include PCR/NGS search for viruses (see Kate's previous messages about rubella in granulomatous skin lesions in PIDDs with T def, she even might want a sample?) and considering his travel history, also search for fungi in a similar way. I would love to know the reason exactly.

Pyoderma gangrenosum is an option, like mentioned (again seen occasionally in T cell immunodysregulatory and deficiency states), biopsy report? Any hemangioma formation, Rochalimea or like?

I would also specifically search for (even both) rat bite fever agents (other one of them is common in NY sewer rats, like 18? unknown species to science, a recent fascinating report). Often people surprisingly have not awaken to mouse/rat bites, which one usually gets during sleep..

And would search also specifically for Rickettsiae, Anaplasmas. I believe at least for these two there are targeted multiplex PCRs available, from local experts in USA or from Didier Raoult, Marseille. Other arthropod- or rodent-transmitted species remain a possibilty. Bartonella? Tularemia can cause skin granulomas, blisters, "everything" dermatologic.

And the lab should be notified to obtain optimal culture conditions and lab safety.
In our experience and hands, in these rarer pathogens the "universal" bacterial 16S PCR is not always the best in sensitivity, thus would take targeted tests as well, from tissue samples.

Respectfully, hope this helps,

Mikko Seppänen, Finland