[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CVID

David Buchbinder dbuchbinder at CHOC.ORG
Mon Nov 10 01:03:39 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I saw a 22 year old diagnosed with "CVID" that I thought I would ask for your thoughts on....

She began to vision issues at 13 years of age and was diagnosed with papiledema bilaterally.  Imaging of her CNS was completed documenting "mass like" lesions with surround vasogenic edema.  Over the years these appear to have come and gone with responses to immunosuppressants.  These have been severe enough to require intubation, ICP monitoring, manitol, etc.  Eventually, she underwent a brain biopsy that disclosed "CNS vasculitis".   In terms of additional immunedysregulation, she also has a history of autoimmune cytopenias (AIHA, ITP, etc.).  Her chest CT also disclosed evidence of adenopathy (hilar, mediastinal) as well as some nodular infiltrates.  A wedge biopsy documented "folicular bronchiiolitis".  She also has a history of hypogammaglobulinemia with a low IgA (<7) and low IgG (210).  Her IgM is fine and her IgE is not elevated.  Vaccine titers are pending.  Her eosinophil counts have largely been normal (very rarely elevated).  She has been maintained on a variety of immunosuppressant drugs in the distant past (e.g. cytoxan, rituximab, corticosteroids, etc.).  She has demonstrated evolving lymphopenia as well with a CD3 absolute count of 304, CD4 absolute count of 190, CD8 absolute count of 86, NK absolute count of 33.  Mitogen testing is pending.  Testing for autoantbodies (e.g., ANCA, etc.) have always been negative.   We entertained the diagnosis of Churg-Strauss, but I thought I would see if anybody else has any other thoughts on the profound immunedysregulation in this patient.

Thanks,

Dave

David Buchbinder, MD
Division of Hematology
CHOC Children's Hospital

CHOCLX-MGSM made the following annotations
Sun Nov 09 2014 22:03:49

This email message and any files transmitted are sent with confidentiality in mind and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify Children's Hospital of Orange County.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Children's Hospital of Orange County. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.

E: info at clinimmsoc.org

or send a blank email to leave-45720889-183939985.3ea13d40a15475ac00ebbd9cd8a37d6d at lists.clinimmsoc.org