[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] ADA-SCID patient with dystonic movements

Sparks, Rachel (NIH/NIAID) [E] rachel.sparks at nih.gov
Tue Apr 28 23:56:54 EDT 2015

Thank you for the comments thus far. To follow-up:

--Thinking along your Neurology consultants: can you measure ADA-associated toxic metabolites in CSF (compared to the same metabolites in his blood)? Do they recommend PEG-ADA as a treatment modality?

1. The Neuro team did attempt to obtain studies for metabolites in his CSF but were unable due to low sample volume. We will definitely discuss if he gets repeat LP in the future.

2. Neuro does not comment on suspected utility of PEG-ADA as a treatment option. He’ll likely start this week while transplant work-up moves forward, so perhaps the answer will become clearer.

--I am intrigued by the twist in this story from Kawasaki Disease to ADA-SCID. Can you tell us more?

3. Re: Kawasaki disease (KD) to ADA-SCID: the team had been concerned about atypical KD given the 8 days of high fever. A TTE suggested a coronary artery aneurysm. Both cardiology and ID recommended treating for KD. We became involved shortly thereafter and the patient only received a single dose of IVIG (2g/kg) before SCID became the clearer diagnosis.

--I understand that movement disorders are uncommon in ADA-SCID, but have been reported in a few patients and in an animal model-http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887899407002275. Your description is probably more detailed and the observation of raised lactate on 1H-MRS is interesting. Are the parents consanguineous? What did the metabolic team at NIH think about the raised lactate?

4. The parents are not consanguineous.

5. We don’t have the NIH metabolic team on this case – I am seeing him at a children’s hospital (NIH only sees patients at least 2y of age). We’ve not had many comments on the elevated lactate seen on the MRS– do you have other thoughts? A lactate/pyruvate (serum) is pending. We were unable to get pyruvate from the CSF due to limited sample volume.

Thanks!
Rachel Sparks
Allergy/Immunology Fellow, NIH