[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Chronic meningitis in ar-agammaglobulinemia

João Farela Neves jpfn13 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 07:02:52 EDT 2015

Thanks for your replies

Her trough levels are >17, already... (At least since February)

She has severe hydrocephaly and she is very symptomatic... We need to insert a csf draining device.

We planned ommaya to be placed next week but your experiences are not brilliant... Anyone else with different experiences?

Do you think it would be best to simply insert an external drainage while we try to identify the bug?

In the meanwhile We have identified tropheryma whipplei in the stools. PAS colorations and PCR in the duodenum are pending. Has anyone seen whipple's cns involvement in agammaglobulinemia?

Thanks for you precious help
Regards
João F Neves

No dia 09/05/2015, às 11:35, Richard Wasserman <drrichwasserman at gmail.com> escreveu:

> [...]
>>
>> No imprimir aquest correu ajudarà a preservar el medi ambient.
>> Si vostè no és el destinatari del missatge, o l'ha rebut per error, si us plau notifiqui-ho al remitent i destrueixi el missatge amb tot el seu contingut. Està prohibida la distribució no autoritzada del contingut d'aquest missatge.
>>

>> No imprimir este correo ayudará a preservar el medio ambiente.
>> Si usted no es el destinatario del mensaje, o lo ha recibido por error, notifíquelo por favor al remitente y destruya el mensaje con todo su contenido. Está prohibida la distribución no autorizada del contenido de este mensaje.
>>
>> De: "Richard Wasserman" <drrichwasserman at gmail.com>
>> Per: "CIS-PIDD" <cis-pidd at lyris.dundee.net>
>> Enviats: Divendres, 8 de Maig 2015 16:24:59
>> Assumpte: Re: [cis-pidd] Chronic meningitis in ar-agammaglobulinemia
>>
>> I have experience with two XLA patients with Echo 11 CNS infection.
>>
>> The first presented in early childhood to Diane Wara in San Francisco. He was initially treated with IGIV but did not improve and an Ommaya resevoir was placed. He received IgG infusions several times a week and improved. He then developed non-communicating hydrocephalus and symptoms of spinal cord disease. Another resevoir was place in the lumbar region and he was treated through both ports and improved. The family then moved to Dallas and I began caring for him. Over time, we were able to decrease and finally discontinute intraventricular and intrathecal IgG. He did not have a recurrance of Echo 11 positivity. His peripheral IgG levels were always >1000mg/dL. In his teenage years he developed crippling paresis and contractures and died in his late 20's.
>>
>> The second came to me at age 35 with chronic liver disease and wasting. He had been initially treated with IGIM and then FFP. When he grew Echo 11 from stool and LP was performed. There was no evidence of meningitis but the CSF grew Echo 11. Based on patient one, I had an Ommaya placed and began intraventricular IgG. A few hours after the first dose he developed neurologic changes and a CT showed a small bleed. Intraventricular IgG was stopped and he received high dose IGIV every two weeks. Shortly thereafter he received a liver transplant. Several years later he was doing well on home IGIV and decreased his dose. He developed a seizure and CSF was positive for Echo 11. IGIV was incresed and Echo 11 became undetectable. There were no further Echo 11 problems until his death 15 years later from chronic rejection.
>>
>> Based on these experiences, I would push the IV dose hard before placing a resevoir for intraventricular/intrathecal IgG therapy. Good luck.
>> Richard Wasserman
>> Dallas
>>
>>> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 5:45 AM, Joao Neves <jpfn13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> Toscana will be searched in the biopsy and CSF. He is not on chronic SM-TMP nor NSAID.

4001310079135012

or send a blank email to leave-2819105-96396833.5a9591ccd1e327fe6bc4d1543298c482 at lyris.dundee.net