[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] NLH and rituximab

Mel.Berger at cslbehring.com Mel.Berger at cslbehring.com
Tue May 26 13:28:07 EDT 2015

We had a very dramatic case referred to Rainbow Babies and Childrens' Hospital from Pennsylvania. A boy of about 4-5 years old had a history of antibody deficiency with infections, NLH (causing recurrent rectal prolapse), hemolytic anemia s/p splenectomy, diabetes secondary to steroids, and inability to maintain protective serum IgG levels despite IVIG doses > 1 gr/kg/mo.  Whilre in Cleveland, he had an exacerbation of hemolytic anemia which was treated with Rituximab. This resulted in resolution of the episode of anemia, a marked decrease in GI symptoms, cessation of rectal prolapses, and a marked rise in the serum IgG level. The latter was presumably due to decreased GI losses.  In retrospect, the biopsy of the lymphoid nodules reported "plasmacytoid cells with positive staining for CD20", but no one had ever suggested using Rituximab as a primary therapy for the GI problems, it was a very happy serendipitous effect of its use for the hemolytic anemia.  Subsequently, he continued to do quite well on easily manageable IgG replacement and Rituxin once or twice a year for recurrences of hemolytic anemia.

Mel Berger

(Now I wonder if he has a PI3K or PKC mutation)