[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] XLA and enterovirus

Richard Wasserman drrichwasserman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 16:55:16 EDT 2015

I have cared for two XLA patients with Echo 11 encephalitis. The first
presented as a child and was treated with intraventricular IgG with an
Ommaya Reservoir until he developed obstruction and a lumbar reservoir was
added. This was 30 years ago and he was failing moderate dose IGIV. The
second presented as an asymptomatic adult and, based on the first
experience a Reservoir was placed but he had a bleed with the first dose
and was then treated IV. We were able to clear Echo from the spinal fluid
in both patients. If I saw such a patient today, I would probably start
with 1g/kg/w until there was a response. The second patient had done well
on 500mg/kg every other week and self weaned to every three weeks and
developed encephalopathy and seizure so we never actually cleared him even
though he was PCR negative.

Richard Wasserman
Dallas

Sent from my iPhone