[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] XLA and enterovirus

Prescott Atkinson, M.D. PAtkinson at peds.uab.edu
Wed Jun 24 19:11:07 EDT 2015

We have one XLA patient who developed acute enteroviral encephalitis years ago just at the time of diagnosis - his brother had just been diagnosed and he got sick before we could evaluate him.  He was comatose - we treated with pleconaril under an emergency IRB/compassionate use agreement and high dose IVIG and he recovered.  He has not had any signs of CNS issues since that time.  Interestingly he also has undetectable MBL and developed Blastomyces pneumonia several years after being started on IVIG.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, pleconaril is no longer available.

Prescott

T. Prescott Atkinson, MD PhD, Professor and Director

Division of Pediatric Allergy, Asthma & Immunology

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Tel: 205-939-9072