[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] poor antigen responsiveness

Boyce, Thomas G., M.D. Boyce.Thomas at mayo.edu
Tue Aug 4 18:31:10 EDT 2015

agree. same in kids.

From: Riedl, Marc [mailto:mriedl at ucsd.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:56 PM
To: CIS-PIDD
Subject: Re: [cis-pidd] poor antigen responsiveness

Richard,

I see this pattern not infrequently in adults undergoing immunologic evaluation (normal mitogen with absent antigen LPA responses), often with otherwise entirely normal antibody levels and function.  I don't know what to make of it and have become less enamored with even measuring LPA unless there's a very strong clinical history of problematic fungal or recalcitrant viral infections.  There may be some different nuances in kids, but I typically have tried to "explain this away" in adults since there's no specific intervention and I've not seen any complications in following these folks over the years.

Marc Riedl, MD, MS
Professor of Medicine
Adult Primary Immunodeficiency Program
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy & Immunology
University of California, San Diego
8899 University Center Lane, Suite 230
San Diego, CA  92122
Tel 858.657.5350  Fax 858.657.5375