[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Input please - 8 week male inflammatory condition with absent B cells

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Nov 24 08:38:17 EST 2015

Dear Theresa,

severe autoinflammation status since birth and absence of B cells reminds
me of our patient with overlapping clinical symptoms who was finally
diagnosed with SIFD (congenital sideroblastic anemia, B-cell
immunodeficiency, periodic fevers, and developmental delay).
Molecular diagnosis was performed in NIH, I.Aksetijevich, quite recently -
actually our patient was one of the first two cases whos investigation led
to the discovery of the gene - TRNT1, mitochodrial enzyme with a role in
RNA transfer. In our case a verification of sideroblastic nature of anemia
and extremelly high serum levels of IL-6 were helpful in confirmation of
correct diagnosis.
After  very difficult periods of inflammation and other complications stem
cell transplantation was performed, the child, however, died for
complications of transplantation. Some successful transplantations were,
however, reported in the literature.
In our case, however, GIT problems were dominant in the first months,
descriptively characterized as "pseudoobstruction", later he developped
necrotizing enterocolitis - that seems to be missing in your case. On the
other hand inflammation, cytopenias and extreme ferritin levels were very
much the same as you report. We have also tried Anakinra, but had to stop
it for sepsis he had developped (not certain if it was in direct connection
to the treatment).

With regards

Anna

--