[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] EBV+ fulminant infectious mononucleosis/LPD in 2yo girl

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sat Nov 28 03:41:57 EST 2015

Dear Arturo,
Not sure it is HLH yet, but it looks like an EBV with very severe immune reaction. The proliferation is a T-cell proliferation, let's hope it is just a reaction to EBV-infected B cells and not a T-cell infection by EBV which is rare but very severe.
Yes, I would begin with Rituximab in order to kill the infected B cells that activate the T cells, and I would add steroids (2 mg/kg or a pulse depending on the severity of the clinical status). I would not start up front with the HLH protocol because a so impressive proliferation does not fit with a not so elevated ferritin if it was a HLH context. Of course it can be an HLH that begins, but you will see depending on the evolution.
I suggest you control that PCR EBV has dropped just after the Rituximab in order to be sure that the virus was in B cells. You could also do a PCR EBV after sorting the cells but not every lab has access to this and Rituximab is not dangerous even if T cells are infected. To answer your question, yes Rituximab asap.
I hope it helps.
All the best
Elie

Elie Haddad