[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] [cis-pidd]

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Mon Dec 7 14:47:26 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to ask advice on the following patient with profoundly bad
respiratory virus issues -

6 month old Caucasian female with a normal birth history, negative
family history (no consanguinity), and normal physical exam.  She had a
normal newborn screen presented at 4 months of age with respiratory
failure secondary to Parainfluenza Type 1.  She also had seizures at the
time.  A brain MR demonstrated  focal areas of hyperintensity on the
diffusion-weighted imaging suggestive of multifocal small infarcts as
well as central and peripheral atrophy.

Readmitted at 6 months of age with respiratory failure secondary to
Human Metapneumovirus.  Imaging documented bilateral consolidations,
mastoid effusions, and paranasal sinus disease.  A thymus was present.
She also had  Gemella (Streptococcus) morbillorum bacteremia.  We
isolated Staph Epi and Candida Lusitaniae as well, but these were felt
to be contaminant as she improved without therapy directed at the yeast.

She now remains on bactrim as she still has a significant CD4
lymphopenia and we have provided immunoglobulin replacement.  I was
wondering if anyone has any suggestion on further diagnostic evaluation.
 I do have mitogen testing which is pending as that had not been done.

Any thoughts would be welcomed...

Sincerely,

Dave

Dave Buchbinder, MD
CHOC Children's Hospital

4 months – during acute viral illness
Cytopenias (leukopenia, lymphopenia, and thrombocytopenia – no
eosinophilia)
CD3 239 / uL  CD4 118 / uL  CD8 129 / uL  NK 20 / uL  CD19 8 / uL
CD45RA 77 / uL CD45RO 34 / uL
IgA < 8 mg/dL   IgG 126 mg/dL   IgM 24 mg/dL
After 2 month vaccines --
Tetanus Ab 0.11 IU/mL (low)
Hib Ab 0.16 mg/L (low)
Pneumococcal titers Absent

ADA levels inconclusive (done after red cell transfusion)
Genetic testing:  SCID panel “negative” aside from on VUS in DCLRE1C.

6 months – during acute viral illness
Cytopenias (thrombocytopenia – no eosinophilia)
CD3 1046 / uL  CD4 305 / uL CD8 756 / uL NK 197 / uL CD19 45 / uL
CD45RA  173 / uL CD45RO 141 / uL
 IgA 9 mg/dL  IgG 121 mg/dL IgM 27 mg/dL IgE 5.4 kU/L
Afer 4 month vaccines given –
Tetanus Ab 0.43 IU/mL (protective)
Hib Ab  3.84 mg/L (protective)
Pneumococcal titers  --  6 serotypes with protective titers

CHOCLX-MGSM made the following annotations
Mon Dec 07 2015 11:47:27

This email message and any files transmitted are sent with confidentiality in mind and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify Children's Hospital of Orange County.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Children's Hospital of Orange County. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.