[CIS PIDD] [MARKETING][cis-pidd] CVID and profuse diarrhea

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Jan 21 03:31:53 EST 2016

I agree with Mikko: there are (too) many problems in a child with "CVID"
and I would evaluate for the possibility of an underlying CID (have you
followed naive T-cells over time? Is there an expansion of g/d T cells
or do you see increased senescence (e.g. by CD57 expression)?  How is
the T-cell function? B-cell subsets (CD21?)
Depending on the results you may consider a leaky SCID or one of the
more recently described defects (e.g. PI3Kd, CTLA4, LRBA, STAT3, ...):
with some of these maybe having some additional (somewhat specific)
treatment options (sirolimus, PI3Kd inhinitors in the future, abatacept,
a-IL6, ...). Mikko also pointed towards SCT: certainly risky with the
described infection pattern, but probably also important to evaluate (in
case the patient stabilizes in the near future). With the back-up of
antimicrobial treatment/prophylaxis a clinically well observed treatmend
with steroids (e.g. 1mg/kg of prednisone for 2 weeks and then taper)
might be helpful with the observed immune dysregulation (before playing
with other immunosuppressive drugs). Regarding the norovirus infection
the oral ribavirin you started sounds like a good idea and I would wait
for the effect over the next weeks (and rather try additional systemic
steroids for the moment). Good luck, BW Carsten

--
PD Dr. Carsten Speckmann
Pediatrician

or send a blank email to leave-3426481-96396833.5a9591ccd1e327fe6bc4d1543298c482 at lyris.dundee.net