[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Cartilage Hair Hypoplasia Management

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Jan 21 13:25:15 EST 2016

Dear Jordan,

I follow a number of RMRP 70A>G patients from the Amish community and some non-Amish patients with CHH across a broad age spectrum.  My experience has been that some of these children do present with a strikingly abnormal laboratory workup, most commonly with T-cell dysfunction or a combined immunodeficiency.  In that context, they generally having ongoing immunodeficiency.  This is in contrast to the patients with CHH who have normal immune studies which causes me to worry for other reasons.  Not all of the patients with CHH have abnormally low TRECs in that they are not all picked up by newborn screen as your patient was.

Given the (undetectable or very low?) TREC analysis on state NBS, the apparent T-cell lymphopenia with abnormal proliferation relative to your control and the risk of immunodeficiency, lymphoma and chronic lung disease of relevance to CHH natural history, I would give strong consideration to transplant in your patient.  If the patient has a sibling match or very good registry option, transplant becomes very attractive in this setting.  I would consider this patient to be high risk for subsequent infectious complications based upon current information.

I hope the above is helpful.  Glad to discuss further if that is of interest.

Sincerely,

Nick

Nicholas L. Rider, D.O.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics