[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Renal Disease and CVID

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Mar 25 03:20:02 EDT 2016

Hi Prescott,

Have you considered STAT3 GOF in your patient?

ATB,

Mikko

Oyl Mikko Seppänen
Harvinaissairauksien yksikkö (HAKE)

Head, Rare Disease Center,
Helsinki University Hospital (HUH)
FINLAND

phone +358 947180201
GSM +358 50 4279606
fax +358 9 47174703

CIS-PIDD <cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org<mailto:cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org>> kirjoitti 24.3.2016 kello 23.46:

Hi Jason:

If infection is still under consideration, I would suggest sending BAL or preferably lung biopsy to the University of Washington for 16S PCR/NGS.  Mycoplasmas, of which there are a number of different species capable of causing prolonged slowly progressive infection in hypoimmunoglobulinemic patients, are only one possibility – very hard to culture and specific PCR testing will fail unless you know what you are looking for.  IgG replacement may not help if the organism is a from a non-human host – we are collaborating with another center in a case of a fatal infection in a CVID patient associated with M. arginini, a species usually found in cattle.

With regard to the renal disease and the poorly reconstituted B cells after rituximab (unfortunate that our hematology and rheumatology colleagues rarely seem to check flow cytometry prior to ritux), I am following a young adult male with similar features, minus the (potentially) infectious aspects.  He was very healthy in infancy and early childhood, developed ITP at age 10, received 1 dose of IVIG and it improved transiently, then returned.  He got several doses of IVIG and responded each time.  Steroids didn't help for more than a week.  About a year later he developed neutropenia and he got a full workup at a well-known center - this turned out to be also autoimmune.  ALPS testing showed ~2.5% double negative T cells on one panel, lower on later tests.  FAS sequence was normal.  He originally had generalized lymphadenopathy that developed in 2009 - biopsy was neg for malignancy or DNT cells.  He got Rituximab July 2009 (4 weekly doses) and his immunoglobulins have drifted down to very low levels since that time.  Lymphadenopathy resolved.  Starting about a year after rituximab he has been treated with regular IVIG/SCIG.  Since the ritux he has had some recurrent sinus problems and bronchitis that responded to increased dosing of his SCIG replacement.  He had a perirectal abscess while neutropenic - hospitalized briefly Nov 2008.

His creatinine was 1.3 when I initially checked it – he had no h/o renal problems – and I referred to nephrology.  I am pasting in his biopsy results below.  He seems to have suffered silent injury to his kidneys at some point in the past – perhaps related to his underlying disorder – which seems to be inactive now.  I discussed this case with Koneti Rao at NIH and he felt it was quite likely he had some type of ALPS originally. His current flow panel on his sparse B cell population shows very low CD27+ B cells and no excess DNT cells.

I have considered that he might have a defect in the CD19/CD81/CD21 complex, which has been associated with kidney disease, and am planning to get WGS when it gets a little cheaper.  This might be a more pertinent option for your patient since she has active renal inflammation.

Prescott

T. Prescott Atkinson, MD PhD, Professor and Director
Division of Pediatric Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Tel: 205-996-9582
Fax: 205-975-7080
Cell: 205-999-7688

Date Reported:  7/14/2012

FINAL PATHOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS:

KIDNEY, LEFT, BIOPSY:
     FOCAL GLOBAL SCLEROSIS AND MILD INTERSTITIAL FIBROSIS (SEE COMMENT).

pm/7/13/2012

COMMENT:
There is no evidence of immune complex-mediated glomerulopathy.  The renal biopsy findings of focal global sclerosis and mild interstitial fibrosis likely represent old injury that is currently inactive.  Clinical correlation is advised.  This case has been seen in consultation with Dr. XXXXX (UAB Nephropathology), who concurs with the diagnosis.

CLINICAL HISTORY:
Sixteen-year-old white male with a history of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura treated with IVIG and Rituximab, who presents with azotemia.  Biopsy of the left kidney was performed.

GROSS DESCRIPTION:
The specimen is received in a container labeled "Renal bx."  It consists of two cores of tan soft tissue measuring 1.3 x 0.1 x 0.1 cm and 1.0 x 0.1 x 0.1 cm.  Tissue is collected for immunofluorescence and for electron microscopy.
(Jar 0)

MICROSCOPIC DESCRIPTION:
The renal biopsy specimen consists of two portions of renal cortex.  Thirty glomeruli are available for examination on multiple sections.  Twelve glomeruli are globally sclerosed.  The remaining glomeruli are mildly enlarged but show no significant expansion of the mesangial matrix or increase in mesangial cellularity.  The capillary lumina are widely patent, and the glomerular basement membranes have a normal appearance by light microscopy.  An occasional glomerulus is surrounded by a thickened Bowman' s capsule.  A rare glomerulus shows dilatation of Bowman' s space.  There is mild irregular interstitial fibrosis with corresponding tubular atrophy accompanied by a sprinkling of lymphoid cells and plasma cells.  Rare tubules contain intraluminal hyaline and pigmented casts.  There are rare foci of tubulointerstitial calcification.  The blood vessels are histologically unremarkable.  There is no evidence of vasculitis.  The special stains have appropriately reactive controls.

ELECTRON MICROSCOPY:
(EMLABS 2012-706): Thirteen glomeruli are present on multiple plastic embedded, BFMB-stained sections.  Nine glomeruli are globally sclerosed.  The remaining glomeruli are mildly enlarged but show no significant expansion of the mesangial matrix or increase in mesangial cellularity.  The capillary lumina are widely patent, and the glomerular basement membranes have a normal appearance.  Ultrastructural examination shows widely patent capillaries.  The glomerular basement membranes are of normal thickness.  Minimal segmental foot process effacement of the visceral epithelial cells is present.  Rare paramesangial electron densities are seen; however, there are no electron dense deposits.