[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CVID, bronchiectasis, atypical mycobacteria, hemoptysis

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Jun 15 14:09:54 EDT 2016

Hi Mikko,

Thanks for your reply.

The 63yo female has a long history of recurrent pneumonia episodes since childhood. Bronchiectasis was diagnosed at age 22yo. She was diagnosed with CVID at Barnes Jewish in 2006 (at the age of 54y). She has been on IVIG since 2007. First episode of hemoptysis in 2005 with recurrence in 2013, at which time BAL grew Mycobacteria massilense, treated with IV antibiotics for 5wks (discontinued due to side effects). In 2014 she had pneumonia again, with leukopenia and bone marrow bx was negative. BAL in 2015 + for Mycobacterium avium. HRCT chest in January 2016 showed multifocal bronchiectasis with nodularity throughout the lung fields but concentrated in mid lung. She is ANA -, SSB/SSA- on previous studies. Lately she is having hemoptysis (bright red blood in mucous ~teaspoon amounts or tinged tissues). She has one AFB culture pending for speciation. One negative AFB cx prior after round of triple therapy. Pulmonologist says she has “2years” left with her current lungs. She is an active professional woman with a career.

The other pt is a retired plastic surgeon. Baseline immunoglobulins (need to find these), reportedly low IgG2 and IgG3, as well as low IgM. Bronchiectasis and hemoptysis. Recent new mycobacterial culture + pending sensitivities. Sometimes has up to 300cc blood loss. Followed by pulmonary.

I just inherited both patients, as I learn more will keep you posted.

Thanks!!
Elena