[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] newborn with possible CID

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Aug 11 04:09:56 EDT 2016

Dear Mariela,

In addition to the comments from Aisha Elmarsafy, I would suggest to check the mother’s CMV status: if positive, breastfeeding will constitute the risk of transmitting CMV to the child, which quite often causes a lot of problems in SCID patients. Thus, if infant formular was available, I would suggest to feed the child with formula until you know that mum is CMV-negative (as long as the results are pending she could still pump the breastmilk so as not to inadvertedly loose the possibility of breastfeeding later if she turns out to be CMV-negative or the child turns out to not have SCID).

Yours sincerely,

Jan

--
Dr. Jan Rohr

Center for Chronic Immunodeficiency (CCI)
University Medical Center Freiburg
Breisacher Str. 115
79106 Freiburg
Germany