[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Multi drug resistant Campylobacter jejuni infection in RAG1 SCID

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Aug 16 00:50:47 EDT 2016

Hi, Dr. Parikh --

I have no experience with such an MDR strain as such ... but I would suggest a few boxes worth checking ...

#  Mayo's micro lab is very good, in my experience.  They will test whatever you ask them to test (and even some we should NOT asking them to test for).  If you don't have the data, in addition to what's mentioned before, ask for amox/clav, minocycline, and chloramphenicol.

#  The best paper I've seen on MDR Campy would be Lehtopolku et al., Antimicrob Agent Chemother 2010.  It looks like they didn't even bother checking for amikacin since 99% of the MDR isolates are gentamicin sensitive.  *If* the bug is gentamicin- or tobramycin- sensitive, I would STRONGLY recommend using this instead of amikacin.  It is fairly difficult to get therapeutic blood levels of amikacin.  Gent or tobra ... peanuts.  I am hesitant to say one is failing therapy if the patient is not getting adequate levels of therapy to begin with.  Go with once-daily extended interval dosing to ensure one reaches the ultrahigh peaks with whatever aminoglycoside with the lowest MIC.  (If the bug is gent/tobra resistant ... this will not be pretty)

#  Treat as if the patient has osteomyelitis.  (For all I know, she might).  It would not surprise me if we would need >= 5 months.  At least 2 active IV drugs -- hopefully, not tigecycline.  (My experience with kids saved by tigecycline versus died despite tigecycline is very lopsided).

#  For that matter, do you have evidence that the Campylobacter is in the gut (stool culture / mucosal biopsy, etc.) -- rather than somewhere else (bone, heart, liver / spleen, skin / soft tissue)?  If not yet done, I would insist that the patient get a TEE.

#  As to what Dr. Vinh suggested with paromomycin ... there is one clinical report out there (at least), Okada et. al., Int Med 2008, that used kanamycin (another non-orally bioavailable aminooglycoside -- though, yes, they are all nonbioavailable) in addition to 2 IV agents to finally get the patient's fevers to stop.  (Cool case ... 31 y/o M with XLA).  Problem is, kanamycin is not available as a proper pharmaceutical in the U.S.  (Though most microbiology research laboratories have a half a kilo of kanamycin sitting in their chemical shelf).  A doable alternative may be oral gentamicin, which has been shown to decontaminate gut against KPC (Tascini et al., Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014).

#  For the granulocyte transfusions -- I doubt they would help.  The patient it not getting recurrent Campylobacter due to neutrophil dysfunction.  So long as she is on active antibiotics, the Campylobacter is controlled.  It's when one thinks of turning them off in which I will get nervous.  Going with what (little) is known about host/pathogen relationships with Campylobacter (Jannsen et. al., Clin Micr Rev, 2009), I suspect the carriage / recurrent infection will not stop until the patient has good levels of her own nascent IgM and IgA.

Good luck in your case.

  - Karl

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Instructor of Pediatrics (Pediatric Infectious Diseases)
University of Chicago - Comer Children's Hospital
5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 6054, Chicago IL 60637
Pager:  773-702-6800   x1744
Fax:  773-702-1196
Lab phone (Bubeck Wardenburg laboratory): 773-834-6976