[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Help with suspected Hyper IgM

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Nov 2 16:15:13 EDT 2016

Hello,

I followed a 10 months-old male infant with severe and recurrent infections (purulent otitis media, pneumonia, forearm abscess etc), cataracts and bone demineralization with fracture. The investigations confirmed a HIGM phenotype. Over the next period of time, the IgM isotype level has increased 40-45 times higher than normal range. As a peculiarity, the necessity for IRT was very limited. The genetic background was negative for CD40, CD40L, AID/UNC, PIK3CD and PIK3R1. Alfa-feto-protein - also normal. After 1 year evolution with severe infectious, the patient's phenotype has changed from Hyper-IgM pattern to selective IgA deficiency (??). So, please notice that a HIGM phenotype can modify over time. Maybe this information can be useful for you (when no specific genetic background is found).

Warm regards,
Sorin Iurian
Professor Assistant
Lucian Blaga University,
Sibiu, Romania

P.S. The case was published (additional information on the following address: 10.1515/rrlm-2015-0027).