[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] AW: SCIG or IVIG in Netherton syndrome?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Jan 10 05:14:21 EST 2017

Hi Fabian,

thank you for bringing up this important topic.

With the generosity of Hans and our cooperations partners offering me to continue with this project and under DFG funding, my group and I took lots of effort on trying to solve the impact of LEKTI (the protein missing in Netherton`s disease) on the immune system when I returned from Seattle to LMU Munich. However, I have to admit that we did not get much further than already proposed in the paper Hans mentions:

LEKTI as a broad chaperone on the interplay of epithelial cells (the solarly cells expressing LEKTI) and “floating” immune cells.

>From a clinical standpoint and as Hans said: Lots of patients and physicians consulted us over the years and almost all reported the beneficial effect of IgRT. However, some patients responded better than others and there is this idea why but not details figured out yet.

I think there is meanwhile a common sense that IgRT is essential to manage newborn kids in regards to gaining weight and prevent fatal sepsis particularly in the first years of life as Hans mentions. And one of these newborns who really benefited so well - since she was twice admitted at Children`s LMU Munich in her first months of life due to almost fatal sepsis prior that we started her on IgRT and than she really started recovering and gaining weight- should still be followed at your immunologic outpatient clinic. She should be about 8 years of age by now.

We already raised the question in the paper: Can one stop IgRT at some point as patients seem to built up a reasonable immune competence over the years and is this response just slower building up as to the impaired epithelial matrix due to LEKTI deficiency but at some age sufficently?

In the clinical part of the DFG funded project we investigated therefore the growing group of Netherton patients we were able to follow and got referred and continued to assess those with the deep immune phenotyping I was able to transfer from Seattle and established partly at the immune diagnostic lab you are now heading as my follow-up.

Thereby, there was/is also a close cooperation with Professor Andreas Wollenberg and the Dermatology LMU Munich. We, Andreas and I, offered to publish those observations as a first author under our guidance to a habilitation candidate several years ago.

Our data did not got out yet and it might be worthwhile to look into that maybe by even setting up an international (e.g. ESID registry based survey) to profoundly answer the question how older Netherton patients should be managed best.

Netherton disease is such a devastating disease and it would be so great to be able to help those patients more sufficiently.

Kind regards,

Ellen

Ellen D Renner, MD, Dr. med.

Professor of Translational Immunology

Environmental medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar

Technische Universität München

Attending physician/Research Center Coordinator

Hochgebirgsklinik and CK-CARE, Davos, Switzerland

E-Mail:     Ellen.Renner at tum.de
<mailto:Ellen.Renner at tum.de>

Secretary office:

Phone:  +49 (0)821 - 598 6411

Fax:       +49 (0)821 - 598 6422

HelmholtzZentrum München

Ingolstädter Landstrasse 1, D-85764 München-Neuherberg, Germany

UNIKA-T Klinikum Augsburg

Neusässer Straße 47, D-86156 Augsburg, Germany

Hochgebirgsklinik/CK-CARE Davos

Herman Buchard Strasse 1, CH-7265 Davos Wolfgang, Switzerland