[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Mannose Binding Lectin Deficiency

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Feb 8 22:37:02 EST 2017

I would be interested in the answer to this too... I have several kids with
MBL deficiency of this level, mostly significant, frequent sinus infections
who either require prophylactic antibiotics or aggressive early treatment
of URIs to avoid the development of chronic sinusitis. One patient has
already had several sepsis episodes including ICU admissions, and I warn
all my patients of this possibility since it's been well described as a
risk.

The only data I have seen on MBL infusions has been in the context of
sepsis, and hasn't been helpful as far as I can tell. I'm not aware of data
looking at prophylactic use, but I would bet it's prohibitively expensive
(especially compared to amoxicillin or augmentin as needed).

Cheers

Bennett

Connecticut Childrens Medical Center,
Hartford, CT