[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CVID with chronic GI campylobacter

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Apr 5 22:54:32 EDT 2017

Thank you for the additional info.  I would favor CVID enteropathy based on those biopsy findings.  Agree this is not Crohns.  I still think the campylobactor is not the cause.  It should have responded to the abx you gave him.  We see colonization with c. Diff which can be as high as 30 percent at our institution.  Fecal transplsnt has been shown to be of clear benefit with c. Diff infection but I would use caution in using it in a PID patient with chronic active colitis and ileitis.  You may inadvertently introduce bacteria that may make his gut inflammation worse.  Still think it's worth looking at total CD8 on bx.

You may want to consider trying budesonide MMX. Works much better in the colon.  Regular budesonide only impacts TI and right colon.  Would also consider the vedolizumab,  We have used it safely in a number of CVID enteropathy folks. Very gut specific but you need to give it a good 14 weeks to kick in.  Would repeat colonoscopy no earlier than 14 weeks but probably 20 weeks to check for mucosal healing.    I have used tacrolimus in these patients as well.  Well absorbed through inflamed gut, T cell specific, quick onset of action and if you get in trouble it's gone In 72 hours.  For classic UC,  the trough levels need to address active inflammation around 10. But, I would start low at 1 mg BID if you go this route and titrate to effect.  As I mentioned earlier, sirolimus also an option.

SG

Sarah C. Glover, DO, AGAF
Director, Inflammatory Bowel and Celiac Disease Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
University of Florida
PO Box 103643 <x-apple-data-detectors://1>
Gainesville, FL 32610<x-apple-data-detectors://1>
http://gastroliver.medicine.ufl.edu/ibd/
Phone (UF Health patient access center): 352-273-9400<tel:352-273-9400>
Phone (IBD research): 352-265-8971<tel:352-265-8971>
Phone (Cell): 312-933-8039<tel:312-933-8039>
Fax 352-265-8979<tel:352-265-8979>​

Sent from my iPhone