[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] CVID with chronic GI campylobacter

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Apr 6 02:35:40 EDT 2017

Dr. Hartog:

Dr. Seppanen brings up an excellent point.  Check out Ge et al., J Microbiol Meth 2013.  An issue is that the Americans (the CLSI) and Europeans (EUCAST) do not agree on what the antibiotic susceptibility breakpoints are  (the Europeans are stricter ... go figure!!).  Consequently, I suspect your patient may have received less effective antibiotic therapy than we would think he had.   Add to the issue that the only bactericidal therapy he might have seen would be amoxicillin.  The fluoroquinolones and macrolides are generally bacteriostatic.  I would always prefer a bactericidal drug -- especially in the setting of immunodeficiency.

Ertapenem +/- gentamicin (if the bug is sensitive) may be worthwhile.

(My inner antibiotic stewardship officer just had a heart attack)

Good luck with the case.

   - Karl

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Section of Infectious Diseases  |  Department of Pediatrics  |  Comer Children's Hospital  |  University of Chicago
5841 S Maryland Ave,  MC 6054,  Chicago  IL  60637