[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] DGS request for advice

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sun May 21 07:09:07 EDT 2017

You have nicely laid out all the issues facing this child.  As you are aware, the mortality associated with transfusion associated GVHD is EXTREMELY high.  AND- you have tried all the treatments to buy time already.

A few points:

The genetics don’t matter in terms of treatment.  For complete DiGeorge roughly 40% have a 22q deletion, 40% have a CHARGE phenotype and 20% are due to toxins or other exposures.  If it is complete DiGeorge, the child needs a thymus or matched T cells.  The genetic won’t dictate therapy.

Whether the offending cells are autologous or from the transfusion, the therapy is the same.  The only difference is that you might enter into a transplant with more conditioning if it is not autologous.  Good to nail down the chimerism.

Thymus transplants are available in London if that is an option.  To get the point of thymus transplant, pretty heroic efforts will be required to keep the activated T cells damped down enough.  Cyclosporin and ATG chronically seem to be needed.

If thymus is not an option- remember you need to transplant fully matched T cells not stem cells so the transplant is not routine.

Kate Sullivan, MD PhD
Wallace Chair
Chief of Allergy Immunology
ARC 1216 CHOP