[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Thymectomy and Hodgkin Disease

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sun Jun 25 14:20:54 EDT 2017

  Did she have a post-op chylothorax either with the original or subsequent cardiac procedures?  I think it is possible to deplete clones that are hard to replace with either a prolonged chylothorax or protein-losing enteropathy in someone who has had a complete or subtotal thymectomy.  Have you looked at her V beta repertoire?

  In the recent paper looking at lymphopenia in 178 patients who had had the Fontan procedure as a part of correction of congenital single ventricle, one patient died of EBV-associated Hodgkin's lymphoma (Risk Factors and Clinical Significance of Lymphopenia in Survivors of the Fontan Procedure... ; Morsheimer et al 2016).  The incidence of Hodgkin's lymphoma in older adolescents and young adults in one reference I found is about 32 per million per year.  I realize that you can't say much with such a small sample, but it seems the incidence might be increased among thymectomized patients.  The authors noted in the above paper that the proportion of patients with T cell lymphopenia increases with age.  Perhaps Kate could comment since she is a coauthor.

  A lot of patients with severe congenital heart disease with or without chromosome 22q11.2 deletions are entering adulthood now, and long-term studies could be helpful to see what the future may hold for them.  I think the day may come when rather than going into the wastebin, the patient will have an autotransplant to salvage their thymic tissue and preserve their T cell production throughout childhood and young adulthood.

Prescott

T. Prescott Atkinson, MD PhD, Professor and Director
Division of Pediatric Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Tel: 205-638-6457
Fax: 205-975-7080