[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Is it PID or Secondary Immunodeficiency?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Tue Aug 29 21:37:15 EDT 2017

Thanks Karl !
Yes , I agree that Ig replacement  has not brought  any goodness ( at least not so far)
A few clarifications and typo mistakes :
Patient had good antibody titers( Hiflu, Diphtheria( without vaccination ) and pneumococcal( post vaccination) however, lost protection of pneumococcal titers within 12 months . This is what prompted previous physician to diagnose her  with CVID . My arguments against this  diagnosis are :1) I am not sure about your experience but we see loss of protection in pneumococcal titers at least 20% cases without any clinical issues 2) These pneumococcal titers were obtained when kid was <4 year of age ( about 3 ½) and my experience is  that pneumococcal titers fluctuate at this young age 3) No history of recurrent infections or auto immune issues
Finally, during my encounter with this kid , she was  not exactly sick looking but what I noticed that kid was just vomiting even during my exam . No muscle wasting
Basically kid is having vomiting , diarrhea , some tongue lesions(not documented but by history,)  definite deceleration in growth ( weight and height)
Also clarification on the dose it is 800 mg /kg/month divided into weekly doses of  (200 mg/kg/week)

Agree with clean slate exam ( mother is very resistant to stop Ig replacement , she is not satisfied with her progress but does not want to stop Ig infusions)
Agree with diet/nutrition deficiencies
No anemia
Chronic infection work up is not done and we will do it as you have suggested . Also we are doing work up for GI/Renal loss
Many thanks
Look forward any further input

Ejaz

Ejaz Yousef MD