[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Hypogammaglobulinemia

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Sep 27 01:07:01 EDT 2017

I'll try to make myself more clear, why I suggest dystrophia myotonica, and why that suggestion and Soheil's suggestion are closely linked:

Like Soheil notes, low albumin and IgG w/o apparent losses suggest hypercatabolism, and B2mg is indeed an option (nice call, Soheil!). Like Klaus Warnatz's group has shown, the patients usually have expanded CD8+ g/d T cell population. That disease has been called "familial complete FcRn deficiency" (FcRn being deficient due to B2mg deficiency) as well in literature. I have never met such patients, but don't they have a rather more severely low albumin?

Similar FcRn-related hypercatabolism due to impaired recycling of IgG takes place in myotonic dystrophy (a more common disease with very insidious onset of symptoms), usually IgG is more severely affected and albumin much less so, apparently since albumin-FcRn interactions remain (largely) normal.

Clin Immunol. 2007 Feb;122(2):146-55

Age of onset of MD/DM depends on the number of repeats, as may the extent of IgG losses (conflicting data).
Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2011 Jul;113(6):464-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2011.02.003.
J Neuroimmunol. 2003 Nov;144(1-2):100-4.

I have over the years given IgGRT to two DM/MD patients,
1) to a young woman, since she was highly symptomatic (kept her out of hospital and severe infections for >4-5? years) by having recurrent infections (rare in DM) -she also had somewhat low albumin and appeared grossly somewhat catabolic, but nutritional factors might have affected her wellbeing as well.
2) another one - a middle-aged man- I remitted twice to neurology due to DM/MD suspicion (family history +), after prolonged follow up and more pronounced and progressive fatigue, they were finally able to show dystrophia myotonica in repetitive stimulation EMG, but only after its second assessment. Albumin was normal. A tricky disease indeed, especially with later onset and lower numbers of repeats.

Both my MD/DM patients claimed that their fatigue was (only temporarily, for a short period) initially helped by IVIG?

I am not saying your patient has specifically DM/MD, but like Soleil, I am thus also wondering about some hypercatabolic state, since no urine/fecal losses have been detected?

Outside these two, are any other such hypercatabolic states affecting IgG springing to your minds, dear colleagues?
Her story does not sound like anorexia either?

ATB

Mikko

Mikko Seppänen
Head, Rare Disease Center,