[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Negative Strep Antibodies in a Patient with Recurrent Strep

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Oct 19 14:29:47 EDT 2017

Dr. Church:

I suggest that recurrent streptococcal infection -- even with the negative ASO -- is common enough that it need not necessarily be an (easily diagnosable) immunodeficiency.  The question is where does the patient keep getting (re-)infected from?   My usual practice would be to test and treat the entire family.  If they have a pet cat or dog, ask the family to bring their animal to the vet to check if the pet happens to be a carrier, as well.

The pet thing is not as well-supported in the literature -- but many an ID doc has had experience of a case where the infection cycle didn't stop until Fluffy got treated at the same time everyone else was.

      - K

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Scientist II and Assistant Director, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology
RGH Research Institute | Rochester General Hospital | Rochester Regional Health
1425 Portland Ave., Room R-403, Rochester, NY   14621
Tel  585-922-3709  |  Fax  585-922-2415