[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] How to differentiate complete and partial IFNGR2 defect in MSMD?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Mon Oct 23 10:03:32 EDT 2017

Dr. Bhattad:

I would suggest directly contacting either/both Dr. Steven Holland in the NIH and Dr. Jean-Laurent Casanova at Rockefeller University (New York) / Howard Hughes Medical Institute.  Both are the bigger names in the IL-12/IFN-gamma axis defect field.

Ahem … I suspect one would say transplant now … another may say to try IFN-gamma therapy     ;-)

In terms of bridging therapy,  I suggest that the child would need non-tuberculous mycobacterial prophylactic therapy at a minimum.  Whether or not the child would need TB prophylaxis would depend on his risk factors (e.g., if kid lives with grandma, who is coughing regularly, then DEFINITELY).  For the former, the standard would be azithromycin long-term.  If this would be given for > 1 month, I would be more careful in the potential side-effects (QT prolongation, hearing impairment due to toxicity, etc.)  For the latter, isoniazid or rifampin is standard of care.  Follow LFTs regularly.

Good luck with the case.

       - Karl

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Scientist and Assistant Director, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology
RGH Research Institute | Rochester General Hospital | Rochester Regional Health
1425 Portland Ave., Room R-403, Rochester, NY   14621
Tel  585-922-3709  |  Fax  585-922-2415