[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Fw: HLH in SCid with CMV?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu Nov 2 14:20:15 EDT 2017

Dr. Rubin:

It certainly sounds like S/CID, with an HLH-like presentation.  While CMV is certainly a good idea, the list does not stop there.  With the infant's young age, I suggest an evaluation for the respiratory viruses (adenovirus would be my top D/Dx), tuberculosis, HSV, aspergillus / endemic fungi, and C. trachomatis -- if it hasn't been done yet - and especially if the CMV PCR is negative.  Depending on the patient's risk factors, I may start empiric coverage even before results are available (e.g., lived in a house with a moldy basement buys amphotericin; recently-traveled grandma with a hacking cough buys anti-TB therapy, etc.).  Make sure the proper diagnostics are sent, otherwise, it'll be difficult to decide when to stop coverage.

As much as it would complicate the social situation, I would withhold breastfeeding until CMV is ruled out (in both mom and baby).  I would advise the mother to continue pumping and freezing milk for now, until the workup is complete.  (I am sure other clinicians would disagree with me).

    - K

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Scientist and Assistant Director, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology
RGH Research Institute | Rochester General Hospital | Rochester Regional Health
1425 Portland Ave., Room R-403, Rochester, NY   14621
Tel  585-922-3709  |  Fax  585-922-2415