[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Asymptomatic patient with low ALC, hypogamm, CD4 count 17, and absent mitogen stim - management recommendations?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Wed Nov 22 13:12:11 EST 2017

I had a similar patient who we thought had recalcitrant histoplasmosis of the lung and idiopathic cd4 lymphopenia at age 31. Turned out he had abnormal lymphatics around his lungs (kidneys too but that had minimal consequences). He had a 2 decade history of productive cough that he ignored. He had an abnormal CT chest (incidentally noted when he had an abdominal CT for another reason). After  18 months of treatment for presumed pulmonary histoplasmosis, Lung biopsy showed desquamative interstitial pneumonitis. Subsequently, lymphoscintigraphy showed his lymph poured into a left sided lymphatic malformation in his chest with a fistula to his left lower lobe of his lungs. He eventually went for Thoracic duct  embolization which was successful.
Despite CD4 counts of 12-60 (with 4% naive only!) and low mitogens when we assessed prior to embolization, he was perfectly healthy otherwise.
Kimberly Risma MD PhD
Associate Professor Pediatrics
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center

Sent from my iPhone