[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Persistent panlymphopenic 17 years old boy, HIV negative and non-steroid treatment. Remarkably benign infectios history without receiving prophylaxis

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sat Apr 14 23:18:46 EDT 2018

Hi, Dr. Tricas:

I'll let others comment on what primary immunodeficiency would present as adolescent-onset CD4 and B cell preferential lymphopenia.  My ideas would've been ADA and PNP -- but you've checked that already.

But to clarify -- you mentioned that TCRab+ is 26%, TCRgd+ is 4%.  Is the total T cell (CD3+) denominator for this 30%, or 100% (since you did say T-CD132+ = 100%, and by your other numbers, T cells are ~50% of lymphocytes)?   If there is a fraction of T cells that carry neither TCRab or gd, then the differential direction will go a wicked different direction.  (TAP or other adapter protein hypomorph??)

As far as secondary immunodeficiency, it is strange for lymphopenia due to infection to putz around for 2 years without budging -- you either get better, or you get worse.  The EBV and HHV6 viremias may explain this ... but I think it's more likely that it's the other way around (the lymphopenia is allowing viral reactivation) -- if indeed the lymphopenia remains persistent.  If the lymphopenia is resolving, then I'll go the other direction.

What other findings are there in symptomatology or laboratories?  Any rashes?  Ataxia?  Fevers?  Diarrhea?  Weight loss?  Arthritis?  Elevated liver function tests?  Anemia?  Hypoalbuminemia?

If the patient has absolutely nothing at present, I am confused as to what this may be.

If he does have symptoms, I would hunt for a cause.  Indolent infections would include tuberculous and atypical mycobacteria, viral infections like HHV8 and HTLV (depending where he lives and ethnic background), zoonoses including malaria, brucellosis, salmonellosis, leptospirosis and toxoplasmosis, and certain endemic fungi (again, depending where he lives).

(I'm an infectious diseases pediatrician -- "negative infectious workup" means absolutely nothing to me unless I know what had been checked and what infections the patient may have been possibly exposed to.)

There are also other "oddball" exposures that can look like this -- chronic cannabinoid / alcohol use, syphilis, anorexia, zinc deficiency, thoracic duct anomaly ...

In terms of oncology, I suspect lymphoma would be the higher on the differential given the negative bone marrow aspirate, as well as his age.

I hope this helps.

   - K

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Scientist II and Assistant Director, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology
RGH Research Institute | Rochester General Hospital | Rochester Regional Health
1425 Portland Ave., Rochester, NY   14621
Tel  585-922-3709  |  Fax  585-922-2415