[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Varicella non-responders

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sat Apr 21 20:32:21 EDT 2018

There are two issues - one is that antibodies to varicella wane (even after natural infection) however, this isn't always predictive of susceptibility to infection/shingles, the other is that the serologic test for varicella antibodies varies considerably in its ability to detect low levels of antibody.

How firm is the diagnosis of chicken pox?  We certainly see many children who get a few spots after the vaccine and one can find varicella virus in the lesions. So few people get wild type varicella that many pediatricians do not have a lot of experience diagnosing it, so if the rash was atypical and they don't have confirmation of the presence of the virus, it is possible that the child did not actually have chickenpox.

We have had a few patients with recurrent zoster and little/no antibodies, we did repeat the varicella vaccine and most of them did have some seroconversion.  Whether or not it reduced their zoster episodes is hard to say.

Lisa

Lisa Kobrynski, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Marcus Professor of Immunology