[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Live Vaccines for AT babies diagnosed by SCID screen?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri May 11 05:47:23 EDT 2018

At least based upon our cohort of about 500 A-T patients, there is no concern for varicella vaccine.  Many fewer have had rotavirus since the vaccine has not been around as long, but I am not aware of any complications of that vaccine in our population or in the rest of the world.

The jury is still out on the MMR vaccine.  The risk must be small because the majority of people with A-T received that vaccine, but do not have granulomas. However,  because the granulomas have sometimes become a terrible, terrible problem and because there is little wild type measles, mumps or rubella in the United States, i do not recommend the MMR vaccine.

IVIG certainly has plenty of antibodies to measles, mumps and rubella, and it could be given to an A-T patient if there was a known exposure or a local outbreak.  In the absence of a contact, the risk of contracting any of these illnesses is very small, so I would not consider this by itself to be an indication for IgG replacement therapy.

Howard Lederman
A-T Clinical Center at Johns Hopkins.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid