[sbe-eas] Need training class for PIOs when IPAWS/WEA mistakes are made

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jan 27 04:41:27 EST 2022

Since PIOs issue statements like the following, containing errors, after
every IPAWS/WEA misfires; perhaps IPAWS should add a training course for
PIOs how to write a "mistakes were made" statement.

Yes, there appears to have been user interface problems.

The first alert said "ADD LONGER WEA MESSAGE HERE. REMOVE THIS IF NO
LONGER MESSAGE EXISTS."  It was replaced by a second alert containing the
information.  And a third alert with an all-clear message.

I don't know why Milwaukee County doesn't follow the state Blue Alert
plan. Another Milwaukee agency immediately threw blame on its fellow
agency for the WEA misfire.

Milwaukee County, Wisconsin.  January 26, 2022
========================

"The Office of Emergency Management's priority in situations where public
safety is at risk to get pertinent information out quickly to the people
who are primarily affected and immediately at risk.

"The technology currently in use does not allow us to geographically
target messages to specific neighborhoods throughout the county. This is a
FEMA regulated program and we are working with them and our software
vendor to address the issue.

"Given the incident occurred in the early morning, just hours before
school children and other residents would be starting their morning
commutes, the Office of Emergency Management sent the message to the
entire County out of an abundance of caution.

"We do not intend to send alerts outside the County, but there is
potential for alerts to be sent to cell phones just outside of the county,
however that is contingent on the cellular provider and location of cell
towers and is not a decision made by the Office of Emergency Management.
The Office of Emergency Management sends the message to cell towers which
then send the messages to phones in the area.

"This morning's incident was a tragic circumstance in which an officer was
injured, and another person lost their life. The Office of Emergency
Management has worked diligently today to keep the public safe and inform
residents on what was an on-going situation throughout the morning."