[sbe-eas] Using EAS live codes for testing (Nuclear Power Plant Warning)

Ken Evans ken_evans at wmdt.com
Wed Jul 6 07:56:06 EDT 2022

Interesting.  So does that trigger having to report a false alert?

Not sure how that was handled, but it could even trigger alerts in Delaware, although only two county FIPS would have been used.  Cumberland and Salem are both counties in NJ.  This one might have been planned.

One broadcast station studio in northern Delaware also do two stations in NJ.

So I wonder if the LIVE code was properly scheduled and advertised?  I do not remember seeing an application for exemption to do the live code test.  We just do not have all the facts.  So if it comes via IPAWS the test flag was set and it would not trigger any alerts?

Hey, they accidentally set it off once in a drill.  So we asked the power plants rep to explain to the Delaware SECC to explain how it was handled at one of our meetings.  It was an interesting presentation.

Ken Evans

MD SECC Chair