[sbe-eas] WEA in RI during severe rain

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Sep 8 20:24:29 EDT 2022

There is a diffusion of responsibility between weather/meteorological
warnings and other public safety warnings.

Inter-agency coordination sounds like a good idea, but is hard in real
life. That's why we keep seeing problems with "wildfire warnings" in the
west.  "Not my job!" Ok, who's job is it?  I don't know, someone else?

NWS is not an "all-hazard" warning organization.  Likewise other
organizations such as the State Police don't have experience issuing
meteorological event warnings.

When multiple organizations issue warnings, you end up with conflicting
instructions and public confusion.  When no organization issues warnings,
you end up with uninformed public hazards.