[sbe-eas] Upcoming FCC changes to EAS rules (September meeting agenda)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Sep 8 22:23:54 EDT 2022

FCC Announces Tentative Agenda for September Open Meeting
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-announces-tentative-agenda-september-open-meeting-8

1. Triggered EAS/CAP checking and preference to use CAP version
(exceptions for EAN, NPT and RWT)
2. Revised text for EAN (National Emergency Message) and PEP (United
States Government)
3. Revised text for NPT (Nationwide Test of the Emergency Alert System)
4. Hardcoded script for national tests
5. Scheduling (1 year for most changes, 6 years for cable set-tops)

Semi-harmless changes.  Agreed no changes to the EAS protocol 3-letter
codes, only the text translations.

New text translations are annoyingly verbose (won't fit on 20-character
LCD displays).  For example, "United States Government" instead of
"U.S. Government".  Recognizes multi-language translations are used, but
doesn't include any besides English.

Could use another proof-reading pass. Saw a few editing mistakes. I'm a
terrible at spelling and grammer, so if I saw them...

Still doesn't fix missing U.S. territory (CNMI).

Hardcoding agency names and programs in scripts (never a good idea in
computer software, but doesn't affect functionality).

No one provided cost estimates.  So the FCC made up its own costs.