[sbe-eas] Upcoming FCC changes to EAS rules (September meeting agenda)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Sep 9 19:35:37 EDT 2022

Outside of the Blackhat/DefCon conference?  No.

Its technically possible, and demonstrated to work.  Works best with very
old phones.  Each new generation 3G/4G/5G/6G improves security.  I haven't
checked if it would work on 5G (probably would, just haven't checked
myself).  6G is under development.

Reason why: the WEA standards designed to get alerts to the public, even
when parts of the network are broken (i.e. the parts that do
authentication & billing).  Adding more security would slow/break stuff.

The risk assumed limited to a geographic area.  But if you want to see
what happens, watch the Ukraine and Russia cell companies. A lot of
theoritical stuff suddenly made practical.