[sbe-eas] Upcoming FCC changes to EAS rules (September meeting agenda)

Aaron Read readaaron at friedbagels.com
Fri Oct 21 11:51:02 EDT 2022

I read this and one phrase came to mind:  "the floggings shall continue
until morale improves."

This NPRM will penalize stations that have worked to be in compliance by
requiring a lot more unnecessary effort and paperwork, and it won't do jack
squat to bring the vast majority of the "failing" stations into
compliance.   Nor does it even begin to address the much-larger problem of
poor training (and no resources for training) at the State Police and EMA
level, nor the hideous shape of most SECC's in this country.

The FCC would get far, far closer to its goal of EAS compliance if they
provided the training and funding for ONE guy at each SECC to go around and
make contact/visit each AM/FM/TV station in their state (over the course of
a year) and check each stations' EAS box for compliance, and help out the
station as needed to get it into compliance.  Then document the whole
shebang in some centralized database like ETRS or whatever.   In probably
95% of cases, if not more, bringing a station into compliance is a 10
minute operation.   The whole thing would cost less and better strengthen
the ties between broadcasters and EMA officials than this cockamanie schema
the FCC is proposing.

And yes, I will be filing comments to the effect of what I just said,
although I plan on talking to RIBA and RI-EMA officials first to get their
perspective.

- Aaron

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 5:34 PM Walke, Larry via sbe-eas <sbe-eas at sbe.org>
wrote:

> Please take a look at this new FCC draft NPRM. At first glance, it seems
> like a game-changer in terms of the requirements on EAS Participants to
> ensure the security of their EAS service, and report any and all incidents
> that could affect any and all communications services that could
> potentially affect EAS, whether it led to a false alert or not. In addition
> to incident reporting, EAS Participants will be required to certify
> annually that they have implemented a cybersecurity risk management plan
> for its EAS system, and again, any communications services that could
> potentially affect EAS functionality.
>

> https://www.fcc.gov/document/improving-security-national-alert-and-warning-systems
>

> Larry Walke, NAB Legal & Regulatory
> (202) 429-5313 (o)
> (202) 607-7611 (c)

Aaron Read
readaaron at friedbagels.com
www.friedbagels.com
"Engineering: it's like math but LOUDER!"